Upcoming Smart Salting Trainings – October & November 2021
The MS4 General Permit includes new requirements for MS4 permittees aimed at reducing chloride pollution, including:
- Education and outreach about the water quality harm posed by excessive salt use
- Implement a written snow and ice management policy
- Require annual training, for those who perform winter maintenance activities for the permittee, such as staff or those they hire
- Proper deicing salt storage practices
- Additional measures for permittees subject to a chloride TMDL
If you are an MS4 permittee, one way to meet the new requirements is to have your winter maintenance staff, or those you contract for winter maintenance, attend an appropriate MPCA Smart Salting Certification training class. The trainings touch on the new requirements and offers practical and technical information for better application and maintenance practices, salt storage, policy examples, and resources for community outreach.
Watch the MPCA Smart Salting Training for Winter Maintenance Professionals video to hear from maintenance pros that are now using less salt and still offering a high level of service!
Oct. & Nov. Smart Salting Training Classes
Smart Salting for Roads
Learn how to integrate science with practical winter maintenance on roads while minimizing impacts on the environment. Covers technical aspects such as application rates, calibration, using weather conditions to more accurately plan and apply, converting to de-icing and anti-icing, storage and more.
- City, county, or state plow drivers
- Private winter maintenance contractors and staff
- Thursday, October 7 Register HERE (FULL)
- Wednesday, October 27 Register HERE
- Thursday, November 4 Register HERE
Smart Salting for Parking Lots & Sidewalks
Learn practical, more efficient winter maintenance practices for parking lots and sidewalks that can help save on costs and time while minimizing environmental impacts.
- Hands-on public or private winter maintenance staff (e.g., staff at parks, hospitals, or colleges)
- Those who hire or supervise winter maintenance staff
- Private contractors
- Thursday, October 14 Register HERE
- Wednesday, October 20 Register HERE
- Friday, November 5 Register HERE
- Tuesday, November 9 Register HERE
Smart Salting for Property Management
Learn how to reduce damages caused by salt, that reducing salt use can save money while providing safe surfaces, ways to encourage your maintenance crew to use sustainable practices, address liability concerns, and the basics of snow and ice management tools.
Annual property damage from salt use is high. Uncover ways to use less salt safely on your properties by getting Smart Salt certified. Hear more: Smart Salting training for property management video!
- Management-level property managers
- Environmental professionals and advocates
- Business owners
- MS4 and Wastewater permit staff
- Wednesday, October 6 Register HERE
- Tuesday, November 2 Register HERE
- Wednesday, November 17 Register HERE
Visit the MPCA Smart Salting Training website for the training calendar and list of certificate holders.
Questions about the trainings? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.